Study in Poland > Events > Poland > Requirements


In order to get accepted to a university or college, a few requirements must be met. Most of all your high school diploma is important. However, your grades, language skills and work experience can also be taken into account.


send as mail email print print feedback feedback
Polish Students
After the reform of the Polish education system the High School diploma (matura) should grant pupils an access to all Polish HEI without any additional exams (in case of medicine, fine arts... special tests are required). Using the internet registration system every candidate is allowed to sing himself/herself up for more than one university/faculty. But for each assignment candidates have to pay separate registration fees. The diploma must be delivered to the office of the chosen university after announcing the list of accepted candidates. The competitors are numerous, because the education for Polish citizens is free of charges.
Foreign Students

The candidate must have a matriculation certificate [matura] or another equivalent document attesting that the holder has the right to be considered for admission to higher education in the country in which he or she completed secondary school.
By each May 31st the HEIs determine their enrollment terms and procedures and the scope of an entrance examination to be taken by the candidates in the next calendar year. This information is published on each HEI's website.
Some schools (departments of the arts, physical education, departments preparing students for the teaching profession, and the like) organize additional aptitude tests. The military and merchant marine higher education institutions additionally apply an age criterion.
As of May 1st, 2004 foreigners are free to undertake and continue studies and participate in scientific research and training projects and schemes on the same terms as the Polish citizens if they:

  • hold a residence permit;
  • have a refugee status granted them in the Republic of Poland;
  • enjoy temporary protection on the territory of the Republic of Poland;
  • are migrating employees - citizens of a EU Member State or of an EFTA State being a member of the European Economic Area Treaty, employed formerly or currently in Poland; this right extends also to members of their families, if resident on the territory of the Republic of Poland;
  • citizens of EU Member States or of EFTA States - members of the European Economic Area Treaty, and members of their families, who have means sufficient to cover their living costs during the period of study; however, they are not eligible for low-income scholarship.


Students who propose to continue in Poland studies commenced abroad must produce a list of subjects taken and grades obtained at their former HEI.

Doctoral Studies

Today many departments of state institutions of higher education run doctoral courses (3-4 years). A candidate must have a master's degree or an equivalent degree. The degree of doctor is awarded to candidates who submitted and successful defended before a thesis committee of a doctoral dissertation and passed a doctoral examination. The degree is awarded by the duly authorized Department Council.
A foreigner may enroll for doctoral studies provided he or she has a diploma of a master's course of study obtained in Poland, or a legalized diploma or another certificate of completion of a higher education obtained abroad and recognized under separate provisions as equivalent to a Polish master's studies diploma.

More info about diploma recognition on web site of Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange.
Polish diplomatic missions abroad offer information on studies in Poland (application forms) and assistance in applying.


Admission Procedure

send as mail email print print feedback feedback

The general requirements for international students applying for universities in Poland:

  • notarized secondary school certificate or an official duplicate issued by the candidate's high school,
  • filled out application form,
  • 4 passport-size photographs,
  • copy of candidate's ID (passport),
  • certificate of the English language proficiency optionally (unless the high school courses were taught in English);
  • medical certificate with no contraindication for studying,
  • admission fee payment receipt.


Numerus clausus

send as mail email print print feedback feedback



send as mail email print print feedback feedback

It's not necessary for students to speak fluently Polish when they start studying in Poland. Universities offer a wide range of courses taught in English. If students wish to study in Polish, before they will enroll they are required to provide a certificate of proficiency in Polish language. Most of the universities organize summer schools in polish language, literature and culture. During the semester foreign students can visit Schools inPolish language and culture based on the universities.

Information on Polish language certificates is provided by the State Commission for Certification of Command of Polish as a Foreign Language.

List of the courses taught on Polish universities in English:
the Conference of Rectors of Academic Schools in Poland